Saturday, November 8, 2008

Look around you!

I was reading photographer Scott Bulger's blog last week on how we really don't notice the things we walk by every day. How true. Like he says, we all get caught up with our cell phones, schedules, etc. So this past week, I took my camera on a few of my walks and looked for those little things I'd normally miss on my way from point A to point B.

This little girl was inside a beauty salon and just happened to look my way as I passed by. I couldn't pass up the shot, because...

...she reminded me so much of this little cutie on Isla.

This is an antique store in San Marcos. I've never been a Marilyn Monroe fan, but I've always loved Audrey Hepburn.

This shoe repair shop was closed, so I took this through the window. It's like taking a step back in time. A sign on the outside of the shop said they started business in 1918. Whoa...that's a long time to be repairing shoes. Some of the shoes on this rack look like they're pretty old themselves. Do people really still get their shoes repaired?? I pretty much live in flip-flops down here in south Texas.

Kind of a strange sign to having hanging in front of your store. The colors looked kind of neat against the darkening sky, though.

I almost never take pictures in the sepia mode. Don't know why I did on this one, but I thought it turned out kind of neat.

I loved the warm colors of these urns.

This is on the university campus. The bird/duck/whatever looks kind of like a skinny swan. It must be a heron or something...I know nothing about birds.

I circled around and took a head-on shot. His little head is so skinny, it doesn't even look like he has one.

That's it...kind of a short post for me today.

3 comments:

Ann said...

great shots! I've been xarrying my camera around for a few days, but no inspiration!

Life's a Beach! said...

Beautiful shots! We have white birds on the ponds here and they're white herons. They can be HUGE in size!

Isla Deb said...

I know what you mean, Ann. I can take my camera along on what I think might be an adventure and not find a single photo-worthy shot. Very discouraging.

Thanks, Beck...I thought that might be a heron. They say everything is bigger in Texas, but it obviously doesn't apply to herons.