Thursday, November 27, 2008

More on Experimental Photography...

IslaGringo made this comment on my previous blog post on "Experimental Photography:"

"Nice, very nice. The detail in the second pic sure stands out now. I would have like to have seen the originals for comparisons sake. The problem with everyone knowing how to do this is that we will have bloggers only posting their versions until we could gag. As it is, just a few of us knowing this technique keeps it fresh. So tell me how to do this! LOL!PS. I have only seen this done with reds. Does it work with other colors too?"

I have a 20-pound turkey to make with all the trimmings today, but I'll take a moment to post this before I start.

First off, here are the originals to the two enhanced photos I posted previously.

This one has always been one of my favorites...taken early in the morning before they opened. There was a trash can sitting to the right of the Coke umbrella which I moved out of the way before taking the picture. The people I was with laughed at me for doing that, but I'm glad I did!

As for me, I didn't change the original color of the subject I highlighted. I'm sure you could if you wanted to, but I prefer to keep the original, like these before and after shots.




Now that I look at this one, I think it might have been more effective to highlight just Frida herself rather than including the white background on the chair. Next time.


It's an easy technique...you just have to have a steady hand when you trace the area you want to remain in color. I used Photoshop Elements to create these. There are probably other programs out there that can be used as well.

Thanks, again, Jamqueen. You got me hooked!

Now I have a turkey to tend to! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

10 comments:

Ann said...

Did you send him the instructions? I can hand carry to him in Jan. if you want. Great photos!

Isla Deb said...

No, I didn't send them...you should take them with you! Wish I was going in January!

Life's a Beach! said...

Very cool Deb. I love all of them.

Ann said...

I will try & remeber to do that. i will email him.

Anonymous said...

Deb...

I have "borrowed" your photo of the wall and the coke umbrella for my desktop. I just love the colors of the photo. Please...tell me where this is? I looked around while I was there in October, but did not see this wall.

Your photos are beautiful...thanks for sharing them!

Vee said...

Nice work, Deb. Looking forward to seeing more.

Isla Deb said...

Thank you!

Salome - the Coke umbrella pic was taken along the beach side of Rueda Medina. I can never remebmber exactly where after I get home...whether it's where Velasquez and Minino's are...or if it's closer to Picus. This one was taken in May of 2007. I've gotten shots of it since then, but they're not as good because after it opens up for business there's always a lot of stuff in front of it. And I've never seen the Coke umbrella by it since then.

Islagringo said...

Jamqueen: yes, yes! I am here waiting!

Scott Bulger Photography said...

"The problem with everyone knowing how to do this is that we will have bloggers only posting their versions until we could gag. As it is, just a few of us knowing this technique keeps it fresh."

Too late!

gil garcia said...

Boy are you hooked! Nice work. I like the Frieda pic. I'm glad you moved the garbage can too!
gg