Thursday, May 20, 2010

A different take on Puerto Morelos...

I was cleaning off my desktop tonight and discovered some pictures I had taken in Puerto Morelos with my Holga....which is here...

Here is Wikipedia's definition of the Holga in case anyone is unfamiliar with this camera which came out in the early 1980's:

The Holga is an inexpensive, medium format 120 film toy camera, made in China, known for its low-fidelity aesthetic.

The Holga's low-cost construction and simple meniscus lens often yields pictures that display vignetting, blur, light leaks and other distortions. The camera's quality problems have obtained a cult following among some photographers, and Holga photos have won awards and competitions in art and news photography.

Mine cost about $25.00. It's a bit of a hassle because you have to order the 120 film and then send it off to Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, Kansas, to have it developed. The thing about Holga shots is that you never know what you're gonna get.

Anyway, I think they're kinda cool...sort of like they were taken back in the 1950's.










6 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

I LOVE those photos Deb! I grew up about 20 miles from Parsons, Kansas. One of the major network newscasts did a feature on Dwayne's awhile back because he's the only place (or one of the few) that still develops certain types of film. Small world!

And I love love LOVE the new header photo!

Amber Pierce said...

very cool photos! no wonder you like that camera and go to all of the trouble -- they look great!

Amber Pierce said...

(By the way, my husband is a builder and constructed the home that is on your header. I sent your link to the homeowner, Ron. I am sure he'll get a kick out of seeing it on your blog!)

Vee said...

Love those photos, Deb. I bought a Holga and have yet to use it. I also noticed your new header immediately. Excellent shot!

Isla Deb said...

Thanks, Beck. What a coincidence that you grew up so close to Parsons! I know that very few places still develop the old types of film anymore.

Amber - Thanks...that's funny that your husband built that house. I love all the homes in that area...particularly because of all the lush foliage and beautiful flowers.

Thanks, Vee...you need to get out that Holga and put it to some use!!

Anonymous said...

First Photo...Bill Groethe, in Rapid City, SD (84 yr old) is another of those rare finds where he works with all films and concepts. His photo talents have been displayed all over the world. Like Dwayne's, there are still a few of these artisans around.