Monday, January 25, 2010

My new digs...again...

Just a quick post tonight because people must be thinking I either died or moved to Mexico. Neither one...I just haven't felt like blogging since my trip because I've had a lot on my plate. Packing things up in the apartment, arranging for the move, not to mention starting a new semester at work where things have been absolutely crazy. The university is growing so much so we're trying to accommodate students in classes that are too small. It's kind of a double-edged sword.

Anyway, I moved into my new digs this weekend. I really thought I wouldn't mind apartment living at my last place. NOT!!! It's been thirty years since I've lived in an apartment, and I can see why. Never again...unless that apartment is close to some beach in Mexico. Then I will make concessions.

I really lucked into this place to rent. It's a brand new house in an older neighborhood...a house was torn down to build this one. Considering it's only $5 more per month than I was paying at the apartment, I consider it a bargain...especially going from two bedrooms to four. I took a few photos as I was moving in. This is what you see on the floor when you walk in the front door...

And this is looking into the living/kitchen area from the doorway. It's a very small living area, but that's okay with me. I'll be making an office out of one of the bedrooms and I'm sure I'll be spending most of my time there, so a huge living room isn't important to me.

Here's the kitchen. Look at that stove...yes, it's gas. I can't even remember the last time I've cooked on a gas stove. Probably at my mom's house back in the 70's. I am anxious to get back into some serious cooking on this baby. At the apartment, I either opened a can of soup or went out to eat because I never felt like cooking there.

And here's the Mexican sink in the main bathroom...the deal clincher.

I'll post more as I get more organized, but for now...I'm a happy camper.

9 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow, it's just lovely. I don't know how you get the energy though! I had to pack up just my bedroom for new furniture/painting, and it took me a week. And I still haven't moved it back in.

Very nice place!

Life's a Beach! said...

Great place Deb! And that sink told you it was meant to be! You'll love cooking with gas. This house is the first time I've had gas and it makes a huge difference.

Islagringo said...

From the front door I was thinking "This looks so Mexican". Then I got to the bathroom sink! No wonder you like it there! I have never seen tiles like the ones around the sink. Are they feather shaped??

gil garcia said...

Good luck on the new digs. I know you got it for the sink only after seeing all the sinks in Mexico and trying to figure out how to bring one home.

Paul said...

I'll have to admit I have never seen a sink like that. BUT, more important, in my opinion and I'm sure the cat's, is the absence of carpet--or was the kitty finally getting used to carpeting in the old place?

Vee said...

Wow, Deb, your place looks wonderful. Looking forward to seeing more photos when you settle in. Thanks for the update!

Isla Deb said...

Nancy - Believe me, I had no energy after that weekend. In fact, I called in sick on Monday because I went up and down the stairs so much at the apartmentt, I put my knee out and could barely walk!

Beck - I already love cooking with the gas stove! Can't wait to try out some new recipes.

Wayne - Those aren't separate tiles...those feather shapes are painted on the sink. The owner told me she bought it in Guadalajara. And you're right...I LOVE it here!

Gil - Yes, now I don't have to bring one back...I wonder how much the airline would have charged me for additional baggage. Ha!

Paul - Yeah, you don't see too many Mexican sinks in South Dakota. And the cat finally got used to the carpet...go figure.

Vee - Thanks! I need to get a few more pieces of furniture and do a little deocrating, then I'll take some more pictures.

Anonymous said...

VERY nice! LOVE the entryway & the sink.

Yes, it was meant to be!!!

Linda
Isla Chica

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place Deb! I see why you like it. Can't wait to see more pics.