Saturday, January 9, 2010

Busing it through Mexico...

This will be my final post on my trip to Mexico.

I took pictures out of my window of the bus of the little towns we passed through on the way to and from Chichen Itza. It would be fun to spend some time exploring some of these one of these days. This was the cathedral in Chemax, where we picked up the lady who sold me the embroidered cloth. This is probably one of my favorite shots on the whole trip.

The rest are in no particular order...



Now this is one long clothes line.

I bet these side streets would offer some pretty interesting photo ops...


Lots of Pepsi and Coca-Cola signs on the buildings...

These were the guards near the entrance to Chichen Itza...





This was probably the only nicer house I saw on the entire bus ride...

This little cutie was the son of a vendor at Chichen Itza who let me take his picture after I bought something from his dad...

Vendors just sit on the sidewalks with a few wares in these tiny little towns. I wonder if anyone buys anything from them.









I'll end with just a few changes I noticed on Isla.

They painted the sun at La Pena...


...and changed it...

...to La Luna...

This...

...has been repainted...

As well as this...

...to this...

...and from this...

...to this... (not an improvement in my opinion)

And this little place just can't decide what color it wants to be. This is how it looked in September of 2006...

July of 2009...

And at the end of December. This time they painted the sun over the door, too...and they keep changing the little garden area, as well.

Thank goodness this place never changes otherwise I'd have to do another stained glass project on it! (And I'm not going to do one with the Grinch in front.)

Thanks for tagging along on my little adventure in Mexico. Until next time, adios amigos!

11 comments:

Ann said...

Lots of interesting photos! Like the 2nd church picture--think it would look great as a B & W photo

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed photos(and stories)! Thank you taking the time to share your experiences.

Life's a Beach! said...

Great photos Deb! I love your favorite, the first photo of the cathedral. I wish I'd taken photos on the way to Chichen Itza. I loved driving through the villages on the way.

Paul said...

..This is better than the "travel channel"....thanks.

Isla Deb said...

Ann - Actually I had thought of doing this entire last post in black and white. I'll be working on that to possibly print some off to frame.

Anonymous - Thanks for checking out my blog...I appreciate the compliment!

Beck - There are lots of opportunities I missed because we were going too fast. I would love to rent a car one day and take my time going through the areas.

Paul - Ha! Thanks!

Vee said...

I will miss your photos, Deb. Hope you come across one now and then to share with us. I especially enjoyed the before-and-after paint job photos from Isla.

Isla Deb said...

Thanks, Vee. After I did my last post, it's like, "Okay, so what do I post now??" Hmmm...it may be awhile before I can come up with something.

Sodak Paul said...

After a second look-see I like the motorcycle in the second pic the best. Go figure. Actually, your Isla is a place of many colors. Next time take a pic of a "paint store". I'd like to see what that looks like. Excellent work, Deborah. You've come a long ways from a Kodak Brownie in St. Louis.

Anonymous said...

What a great trip! thanks for taking us along!!!

Linda
Isla Chica

Paula said...

I'm leaving for Isla in a month and really enjoyed your pictures. I've had a digital camera for 10 years and you have inspired me with your great photos. I love travelling all over Mexico. I remember taking pics on the bus ride from Valladolid to Celestun about 15 years ago -- many of your "road" pics reminded me of that bus journey. Are you from St. Louis, as I am? I travelled for many years with my husband, who passed away 2 years ago. It's hard to find a new travel companion.

By the way, I'm staying at Bahias Chac Chi for a few nights, also a few nights at Bucaneros. I love Cabanas Maria del Mar but they are SERIOUSLY overpriced this time of year.

Isla Deb said...

Paula - Thanks for visiting my blog...and I'm happy that my photos have inspired you! There is SOOO much to photograph in Mexico. I'm sorry to hear about your husband passing. I agree that it's hard to find a traveling companion. Most everyone I know either can't afford to travel or just don't want to.

Yes, I was born and raised in St. Louis, but currently live in Texas. I miss St. Louis...it has a lot to offer that a lot of people don't know about.

You will like the Chac Chi although you do feel a little isolated from the business of el centro. But you will get that at Bucaneros, so you will get the best of both worlds. You can't beat the price at the Chac Chi for being brand new.

I'm headed back down in a month for Spring break and am trying something different (not Isla). Maybe we'll meet up one of these days on our travels!