Friday, March 6, 2009

Getting excited about Isla...

It's been a tough past year. Between being laid off, looking for another job, starting a new job, and my son's accident the beginning of this year, it has taken its toll. In between it all, I booked a flight last November with VivaAerobus to Cancun for the end of next May. But with everything that has gone on, I really haven't been able to get psyched about the trip. Today I decided I have to change my mind set. I need to start doing things I did before my last trip...like buying $5 flip-flops from Old Navy that look like the shoreline on Isla.

So I started looking through my Isla pics and am finally getting excited about the trip. I remember the great feeling I have when I see the ferry going to Isla...

And what a different feeling it is when you're going the other way...

I remember how much I love the boats on Isla because they're old and colorful. All the new boats and yachts are boring...white and fiberglass and fancy. Isla boats have character...and a mesmorizing, soothing feeling as they're bobbing in the surf.

I remember why I love Picus so much...where you can sit right next to the water with your toes in the sand and watch those boats bob in the water.

I remember how nice it is at night during the low season when all the tourists have gone back to their hotels and you can just sit there and enjoy the lights and the sound of the surf...

...and their great Christmas swordfish decorations...

I remember the great breakfasts on Isla...especially at Alexia & Geovanny's where they work very hard...

...to make the best Huevos Motulenos I've ever had...

And even though they're not at this location anymore, I'll always remember M&Js, who had the best view to the east first thing in the morning.

A friend sent me this photo that he took years ago when there was still sand on the east side of the island...

This is what it looked like the first time I saw it back in September of 2006...

And here it is now...

Lots of changes. I still wish I could have seen it many years ago.

I remember Romi...who makes a great Margarita...

Not to mention his Mayan Sacrifices (oh, Lord)...

I remember sitting at Jax and writing on my blog. This was my view a few days before the President of Mexico arrived on Isla.

I remember favorite pictures I've taken...like Frida...a fascinating woman with an interesting past to say the least.

...and this one, which is hanging on my dining room wall. I took this on my second trip to Isla, but couldn't find it the last two times I was there. They must have repainted it...or I just didn't go down the right street.

According to the reports of all the changes going on on Hidalgo, I'm guessing this scene won't remain the same...

Of course, I have to include all the happy children of Isla...

Okay, so he's not so happy, but these two make up for him...


I remember when the lighthouse didn't have the monstrosity condo behind it.

I remember lots about Isla even in the short time I've become familiar with it...

And I'll be back for more in a few months...

9 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Lucky girl Deb! I think we just missed each other last year.I'm glad you're returning this May! I'll have to live vicariously through your photos this time! I loved this photo essay! :)

barry said...

Down da way where the palm trees sway
and the blue waters gently kiss the sandy shore,
I am blowing this town,
you wont find me around
cause I am going on a magic ISLA island tour.
SO lets raise some beers and sing songs of Good Cheer.
It's Going be great ,I really can't wait
but I won't complain if Antonio Banderas rents the place next door..

Great pics Deb,, we ALL got the" I wanna Go too" now

gil garcia said...

Thanks for the post. I'm more determined than ever to make a move!

Ann said...

Deb, great post! We got together with some of our Isla friends last night & were already talking about next year's trip....though 2 of of them are going back in May! Have a wonderful time--I can't wait to see all your photos!

Vee said...

Thanks for the photo essay, Deb. I'm excited about our upcoming trip - and I just bought new flip-flops, too!

Islagringo said...

I love reading about how other people view my home. Your photos were great! Can't wait to meet you in May! (you do plan on meeting me, right?!)

Isla Deb said...

Beck - Too bad you won't be there when I'm there...would love to get together one of these days.

Barry - Yes, it's a good thing you're not giving up your day job for writing poems on blogs. Oh, that's right...you don't HAVE a day job! lol

Gil - I'm thinking you will be there before you know.

Ann - Too bad you won't be there in May, as well! Maybe some day!

Wayne - Since you were my inspiration to start blogging when I was on Isla last year...AND persuaded me to continue it when I left Isla...I think that deserves my treating you to a cerveza or two when I'm there. I'm looking forward to it!

Isla Deb said...

Oops...missed you Vee! Yes, everyone needs a new pair of flip-flops for Isla...and a new swimming suit...and a new sundress...etc., etc.

Vee said...

That's right, Deb. We've also ordered one of those Flip video cameras for Tim to play with. And I'm going to take my Holga this trip. Wish our paths were going to cross. Maybe next year!