Friday, March 26, 2010

A yard in progress...

Here's my back yard right now. Not much to rave about, especially since I don't have grass yet. The little cement pad on the far left is waiting for my air conditioner. Fortunately, we haven't had any hot days in which I've needed an air conditioner. In fact, living in a house that has tile floors, I honestly feel cool all the time. When I was in Mexico, my son in Austin spent the night on the futon. He didn't know where my blankets were so he was freezing. He decided to go back to Austin early in the morning and when he walked outside, he said it was about 10 degrees warmer outside. So, I guess these tile floors will keep things cool...which will be a good thing this summer when the temps get to about 105 degrees.

The air conditioning thing brings up one of my pet peeves. I think I've mentioned before that I love the fresh air and open my blinds and windows whenever I can to enjoy a refreshing breeze. I have found that a LOT of people don't go along with this way of thinking down here in Texas. There are a few young girls renting the house next to us. They keep their windows and blinds closed all the time. When I'm thinking it's a little cool outside, I hear their air conditioning kick on. Whatever happened to the whole notion of "conserving energy???" I don't think kids today are concerned whatsoever about anything as long as they feel comfortable. That was totally the case in the apartment complex I lived in last Fall. Everyone kept their windows and blinds closed and ran their air conditioners in cool weather. And these are the kids who are going to be running this country some day. Hmmm...time to move to Mexico.

Remember that book I was reading on my last trip?

It's about the Mayan beliefs and what's going to happen in 2012. I have mixed opinions about the book, but it inferred that the world is not going to end in 2012, but that the world should come together at that time and work towards compatibility and living together to preserve the earth's resources. In other words, in the next two years, we're supposed to give up our material needs and work together to preserve the earth. Then the world will be in perfect harmony. Hahahaha! That's a good one, huh? I told that to my son, Jared, and he just looked at me and said, "I really like my I-Phone." So much for world harmony. I'm thinking there might be a few more people out there who might not want to give up their million dollar vacation homes in Aruba to go along with the Mayan beliefs.

So, going back to my first thought...I'll be planting some flowers tomorrow to brighten up my yard a little. I'd like to think it's my way of preserving the earth...well, at least my little corner of it...









It's not a Mayan event, but it's a start.

3 comments:

Ann said...

I'm sure you'll have the yard looking great in no time--the flowers are beautiful! I wish it was time to plant here, but won't be for at least another month! I'm already planning my vegetable garden...

Anonymous said...

those frosted fern things are my favorite. Especially with black mulch, after a rain.
carl/debbie

Isla Deb said...

Ann - I'm not doing a whole lot...just putting a little border of flowers around the patio. I thought of doing a vegetable garden, but don't know if I want to go to that much work. We'll see.

Carl/Debbie - Those things are called Dusty Millers. What's funny is that I was at Lowe's yesterday trying to decide whether to go with red or black mulch. I went with the black and you're right. When I watered it after planting the flowers, it looked really nice. Glad I went with the black.