Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Stained glass Isla style...

Remember that stained glass Christmas project I did last year when I was off for two weeks? Well, after all that time, I finally had it framed this week. I had it done at Hobby Lobby. They had only one frame available for stained glass, so here it is. It's just a light natural wood. I'm thinking of either staining it like a dark mahogany or maybe painting it black. Any thoughts on this??

And remember what's it's modeled after?

Anyway, they didn't do the greatest job, but then they admitted that they very rarely do stained glass work. NOW they tell me. Well, I wouldn't have them frame another project like this again, but for now it's okay. At least it didn't cost me much. Here is where it's hanging in my little dining area. It's really the only option I have in the apartment. I just have it hanging from the window locks because I didn't want to punch any holes anywhere. It'll do for now as a reminder of one of my favorite places to visit.

No home projects for me this Christmas! By the end of the two weeks last year, I was going stir crazy!! Hopefully, I'll get some pictures of my Mexico trip this year to offer some ideas for new stained glass projects.

8 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Deb, I vote for dark mahogany! What a stunning piece! Love it!

Ann said...

Beautiful! Perfect spot for it--I'm sure it catches light there. I agree with becky-dark mahogany.

Anonymous said...

Me thinks the oranges/yellows of Isla would be appropriate:-))
carl/debbie

Vee said...

How pretty and cheery! You did a great job on that piece, Deb.

barry said...

hiya Deb.. My vote is dark mahogany too just like the door on the right in the picture,,, and then I would frame the picture and try to position it directly across the room from the stain glass like two views reflecting one another, the real and the surreal...just a thought..

Isla Deb said...

Okay...thanks for the votes. A dark mahogany it is. (Carl/Debbie, I agree about the yellows and oranges of Isla, but I think that would fight too much with the colors of the glass. I'll definitely keep that in mind for future projects!)And, Barry, that's a good idea about hanging the actual photo. I'll work on that.

Islagringo said...

Truly an amazing piece of work, especially when compared with the original picture. I called Bob and Abraham over to my computer to look at it. They were both like "wow, what a great job. oh look, she got this detail. oh, and look at this!". You did good!

Isla Deb said...

Thanks so much, Wayne. I'd like to try some more but they're just so darn time-consuming! (Not to mention the bleeding and calloused fingertips by the time it was done!) That was my first attempt because I just wanted to see if I could do it, and it just about took the whole two weeks of my Christmas vacation!