Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A tribute to dogs...

Kind of a random post tonight. A couple who lives in my complex own a Boxer and they walk it pretty often. This picture is off the net, but it's what he/she looks like...

I love Boxers because I grew up with one. A white one. The white ones tend to be a bit uglier than the brown ones...as you can see here... (Yep, that's me on the far right.)

Ours had the original name of "Whitey"...and she was very attached to my dad. This shot was taken shortly before my dad died. I was only eight years old at the time. Whitey was devastated and developed skin cancer shortly afterwards. My mom had to put her down not long afterwards.

Didn't mean for this to be a depressing post. Just a tribute to the past.

5 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Deb, what a beautiful post! And those black and white photos are priceless. Looks like someone else in the family was a photographer! And I can't imagine what is was like as an 8-year old to lose your dad. : (

Vee said...

I also love boxers. That was a poignant post, Deb.

Paul said...

The boys have a striking resemblance to their dad, especially your homeboy. I had a boxer, too. Heidi. Got her when I was ten and she lived way into my college days. Brown with a white star chest. She would wait outside the back door of the elementary school (with some other friend's dogs) and help me with my paper route. A very loyal breed. My daughter has a boxer now.

barry said...

It's not a depressing post Deb..it's a heart felt one. Small world, I had a boxer too growing up named Smokie, but unfortunately he was 1 yr old when we got him,, and he broke a cardinal rule.."Never bite the Mom on the arse when she bends over ... "..he went to live with my uncle Stan in Delaware.

Isla Deb said...

Thanks, Vee and Beck - My father was big into photography, so I guess that's where it all started.

Paul - I never would have thought the boys looked like my dad, but now that you mention it, I can see the resemblance. And I guess Boxers have been more popular than I would have thought!

Barry - Thanks...and yet another Boxer lover! I'll have to say that Whitey never bit anyone on the ass...good for her!