Sunday, September 27, 2009

I found a new place to go grocery shopping!

I've driven by this place a few times, but never stopped in before today. I thought it might make a good blog post, so I brought my camera along.

When I walked through the door, it was like I stepped across the border...just like when I crossed the Rio Grande to Nuevo Progreso. Between the Mexican music playing and the strong aroma of tamales, I wasn't in the U.S. anymore. It's not a very big place, but it's chock full of all the typical Mexican goodies, to include fresh fruit and veggies.

I've never seen these in a grocery store before I moved to Texas...

Plaintains and limes...

Jicama and prickly pears...

And these are a first. I've never seen these anywhere and have never heard of them.

Meat is their speciality...and they had plenty of it.

To include the head??

I couldn't believe the prices of the meat...

I think I'll pass on the tripe, however. This is what they use in a dish called Menudo. In case you don't know, tripe is cow intestines. I've had Menudo once and while I'm open to new things, it would be okay if I never had Menudo again. I've heard it's an acquired taste...something that you like if you've grown up with it. Apparently it's good hangover food. (Personally, I think I'd rather have a hangover.)

Chorizo...

Great price on chicken breasts...

They had a lot of marinated food, as well. I wonder how spicy it is. It was so red!

I also think I'll pass on the cured pork ears. I don't know...the thought of biting on one makes me think it would be kind of tough and chewy and...well, eewww, I don't want to think about it anymore. But they have zero grams of carbs, so if you're on the Atkins diet, you might want to check these out.

All kinds of Mexican cheese...

And they had these Mexican spices and dried foods at the end of almost every aisle...

And what would a Mexican market be without...

Mexican Cokes...

Pinatas...

El especial del dia...

And corn husks for tamales...

They also had a little taqueria inside which was full of customers. This was near the counter where you ordered your food. I don't know what they are, but they kind of look like huge pork rinds.

And the pharmacy area.

The place was packed and I think I was the only non-Mexican in there. That's okay...I will definitely be back. I didn't buy anything today and was only there to check it out. But considering the prices and the fact that it's less than a mile from where I live, I will definitely be a regular customer, and would much prefer giving them my business as opposed to Wal-Mart.

So, I was a little hungry after walking through the market, so I stopped at a little fast food place that I've never been to before called Wienerschnitzel. I'm not a huge hot dog fan, but I haven't had one in quite awhile, so I decided to stop. I had the Chicago Dog.

I have a friend from Chicago, so I'll be curious to see if he thinks this dog is comparable to a REAL Chicago Dog. In my opinion, it was just okay, but then I'm not a hot dog officianado, so you probably shouldn't listen to me.

So I was walking around the Outlet Mall and saw a bookstore I had never seen before. After visiting the Mexican Market, I couldn't pass this up...

Especially since they had my favorite breakfast dish...

So, now I have an authentic Mexican Market nearby and an authentic Mexican cookbook. The outcome should make for some interesting blog posts.

6 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Great photos Deb! I need to check out some of the local Mexican markets around here. That cookbook looks good! Can't wait for the results of that! My son just brought some salsa back from Tucson. I had a little bit and the tongue and lips are now burning!!!

Ann said...

What a great store! great meat prices! One of the stores in our area has the vegetables & lots of Mex. cheese--the spanish population in town is growing so they are catering to them. can't wait to see what you cook out of that book!

MD in Texas said...

That looks like a great store! We have one nearby that we frequent a lot. It has the most incredible marinated flank steak that we buy, grill up and use in tacos! YUM!!!!

Vee said...

We frequent a couple of nearby Mexican markets. Did you get any funny looks for taking photos, lol? I wonder if the red marinade is achiote? Anyway, great post, and I also look forward to the upcoming culinary experiments!

jeanie said...

What a fun market!!! I could spend hour there.

Isla Deb said...

Thanks, everyone! And, Vee, a woman came up to me while I was there and very politely told me that I shouldn't take photos. When I told her they were just for personal and non-commercial reasons, she was told me it was fine. By then was pretty much done, so I didn't press my luck.