Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Playa Norte...and some other things...

This will be my last Isla post...well, at least for now. Everyone always wants to know how Playa Norte is coming along, so that's the subject of this post. My hotel room was right behind Bujo's restaurant/bar, so that is where I started out my last morning there. I like to take pictures early in the morning before all the sun bathers come out. (Although I was impatiently waiting for the guy wearing the thong to make an appearance. I kid...I kid!!)

This is looking east...

And this is looking west...

The water was very clean and clear...

This is in front of Na Balam...

And looking towards Sunset Grill...

This is what the corner looks like by Zazil-Ha...

As opposed to what it looked like a year ago...

Somewhere else on North Beach...

This was taken a year ago. Yuck. There was a LOT of seaweed on the beach. There was NONE on my last visit a week ago.

There were some whales, however. And they actually do look like whales stranded on the beach. But, obviously, they're doing their job, because the beach looks SOOOOO much better.

This is going towards the northwest corner of the beach...

This is looking west toward Ixchel Condos....

I'm standing on a whale on the most northwestern point of the island here...

And this is what it looked like a year ago...still a big beach, but a LOT cleaner now...

More toes in the sand...

They have done a MAJOR job cleaning up Playa Norte. It looks a 100 times better than any time I've ever seen it since September of 2006, so everyone should come down and enjoy.

So I have one final note on a completely different matter. Maybe I should have done it on a separate post, but I'm too excited about it. I've been nearsighted for about 40 years now and always have to get an eye exam every year to get new contacts. Now that I'm getting older, I need reading glasses to see anything up close. I had a coupon for a free pair of bifocal contacts, so when I went for an eye exam to a new doctor last week, I asked her about it. She was open to it, but asked me if I had ever heard of "monovision." I told her, "no," and she proceeded to explain.

Long story short, she put a normal contact in my right (dominant) eye and put a reader in my left eye. Now, when I'm driving or need to see distance, my right eye takes over. When I need to read or work on the computer, my left eye takes over. There's no adjustment period and it doesn't cost any more than getting normal contacts...and I don't need reading glasses anymore. Unbelievable. She couldn't believe no one had ever suggested it to me before. Either could I. So I'm a pretty happy camper right now and am typing this without reading glasses...something I haven't been able to do for about five years now.

So there's no more of this...

But more of this (although maybe not so sunburned)...

Adios, everyone. Until next time on Isla...

8 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Great post and photos Deb! Playa Norte looks SO much better than May 2008! I found it so depressing then, we only went to Playa Norte a few times and spent the rest of our time farther south.

I've heard of the monovision thing with the contacts. Unfortunately, I have cataracts. I'm waiting for that magical moment when insurance will pick up the surgery and I'll have brand spankin' new eyesite with new lens. It should be about five years. Congrats! I bet it feels wonderful!

Ann said...

Happy that the Buho's area has gained some sand...that's where we tend to go--but that doesn't nean that by ja. it will still be there! We can only hope!
The eyeglass thing...I tried those contacts about 10 years ago--I have worn glasses for 50 years & every 10 or so since my 20's I've tried whatever advances in contacts--none work! And I'm not a candidate for Lasik....

Anonymous said...

Deb, i am curious to see what type of sight seaction you may have after massive margarita tasting, with the new double-type lenses. Might make for an interesting blog some day:-)) Thanks for "taking" us with ya. good writing.
Are you now living with the homeless?
carl/debbie

Vee said...

I'm so glad Playa Norte is recovering. Thanks so much for the update, Deb.

I've had monovision contacts for nearly 15 years. My sister finally began wearing them this year and is thrilled. I tried to tell her...can't believe no one ever mentioned it to you before now.

Wonderful photos as always!

IslaZina said...

Keep us posted on the mono lens. I was thinking of getting one (or 2) and then Ricardo wound up in the hospital. We'll see when he gets back, assuming the 8pm prayers worked!

Laura said...

yippeee! so happy the beach is looking good :)

I started the monovision lenses last year, and love them.
I need another exam though, because I find myself reaching for the "old lady" readers now and then.

Isla Deb said...

Beck - Thanks...North Beach is definitely worth a stop these days. And about the cataracts...my aunt just had a cornea transplant due to cataracts and she said the difference is amazing. She's worn glasses her whole life and doesn't need them now. Bad thing is she's so used to seeing her reflection with glasses, she's going to buy glasses with no prescription just so she can look like what she's used to!! Crazy, huh?

Ann - That's a bummer...maybe one of these days the contacts will work.

Carl - HaHaHa! Yes, after a few of Romi's margaritas I might end up putting the wrong contact in the wrong eye. Who knows where I would end up then! And, no, I'm not homeless. I will eventually do a post on my new digs. I get furniture on Saturday, so it will actually feel like a home.

Vee - Thanks...and, yes, I can't believe I've wasted all this time without knowing about the monovision thing. I find myself sitting down to my computer and trying to find my glasses because it's just a routine habit.

Zina - Yes, I will keep you posted. And you and Ricardo are in my prayers.

Laura - I keep finding myself looking for my glasses when I don't need them, but I do wonder how much time will go by before I need a change in prescription.

Paul said...

beautiful shots. I'm happy for you. I'll send you pics soon to share with your friends. 650,000 at the 69th Sturgis Rally. Amazing. I'll be in your area around the first of October...zoom, zoom. Riding to Arkansas on 23rd. After that into Texas...from there--who knows...have three weeks and plan to cover some serious ground...riding a 2010 Ultra Limited...watch for me as I go by!