Saturday, May 16, 2009

So much for the classics...

I met my brother for coffee this morning and he told me he sold a bunch of his classical music CDs on amazon.com because they're getting to be hard to come by these days. Stores like Borders and Barnes & Nobles offer slim pickings in the classical music genre. I was surprised to hear this and it made me very sad.

My mother loved classical music and had me take piano lessons at the St. Louis Institute of Music when I was only seven years old, so I became very familiar with Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Chopin, etc., etc. So when I heard that classical music is on its way out, I had to do a post.

I've included a couple of my favorites. They're long, but if you have any appreciation for this type of music, it doesn't last long enough. They still give me chills. The first one of Leonard Slatkin conducting Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings brings some childhood memories because he used to be the conductor for the St. Louis Symphony and I still remember taking field trips in grade school to hear them play. (Do schools even do that anymore??) My advice would be to get a cup of coffee or a glass of wine (depending on the time) and close your eyes and listen to both of them. They are mesmorizing.



In my opinion, classical music was the beginning of all music. Symphonies across the country are suffering because no one wants to hear them anymore. The sad thing is the only time we may hear this music now is in the background of a current movie. Sure, I love popular artists of today, but I would consider it a horrible loss if we forget where they came from. But, then again, just add it to all the losses we've incurred in recent history due to the times and the economy...newspapers, magazines, journalists, artists, writers, etc. Who is John Galt?

The times...they are a-changing...

No comments: