Sunday, April 26, 2009

Update to stump hiding post...

Well, it sounds like it was gardening time across the country from all the blogs I read. I appreciated the tips and comments from Beck, Ann and Vee on my stump dilemma.

What's funny about it is that last night I sent a photo to my son's phone in Austin of my lame attempt to improve the stump...mainly because he's the one who cut the tree down. He said, "It's cute, but you should make a bird bath out of it." So, Vee...when I got your comment today about making your stump into a birdbath I had to laugh, because that's exactly what I did last night.

I like it better than the planter I had on top...so I put the planter on top of the bird bath base. Ha! I don't think I'll keep it there, but for now it's kind of cute. Now I just need to put some fresh mulch down in the garden area and paint the deck. :-/ It's always a work in progress.

4 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Love it Deb!!! We have a fountain in the front courtyard that attracts pigeons -- considered to be flying rats down here in Phoenix. So I'm giving serious thought to emptying the fountain and filling it with ferns and flowers in pots. Then once the birdies have flown away, maybe I'll reactivate the fountain.

By the way, when bird baths get old and cracked, they make great planters. I had one in Bellevue that I planted with mosses and trailing flowers. They obviously don't drain well, so you have to watch not to overwater!

Isla Deb said...

Beck, I can't blame you for not wanting to attract "flying rats." When I first got my bird bath a few years ago, we didn't have any cats so the birds took advantage of it. After having it awhile, my main thought was, "Man, do those darn birds make a mess, or what?!?" So now that we have cats, the birds don't visit the bird bath, and it stays nice and clean and the cats always have a water dish outside. Maybe it's not what it was meant for but, hey, what the heck?

Vee said...

Great minds think alike, right?LOL! It looks good, Deb. I put the pedestal on top of the stump, too. Never thought of using the stump for a pedestal. I like!

Isla Deb said...

Thanks, Vee. I think it would have been too tall if I had put the pedestal on top of the stump. Then the cats would have knocked it over trying to get to the water! I can't wait for the flowers to grow more so that they hide the damn thing.